Eco-friendly hotel directory
Many of the hotels in this directory have been endorsed by a leading green hotel certification provider,
and appear in the Rainforest Alliance's Eco-Index.
Others are making significant strides in at least three of the four areas the United Nations Foundation's initiative
which recommends the most critical aspects of sustainable tourism as:
- maximising tourism’s social and economic benefits to local communities;
- reducing negative impacts on cultural heritage;
- reducing harm to local environments;
- and planning for sustainability.
Examples may include:
- switching to more energy-efficient lighting;
- reducing water use;
- recycling, such as using wastewater to irrigate gardens; and/or
- Helping to educate or train underprivileged members of the community.